Welder is Killed by Damaged Electrical Connection on Welding Generator

    Welding Expert WitnessThis case involves a welder who was killed by an improperly insulated cable running from a welding generator to an electrode. At the time of the incident in question, the welding cable was being fed through a ventilation shaft, with the generator and the welder on different floors of the building. The building was not sealed against the weather, and there was noted to be a significant amount of moisture in the room at the time of the accident. In addition, the cable that connected the welding electrodes to the generator were noted to have multiple cuts and abrasions on its insulation, some of which were exposed directly to the moisture in the room. When the welder first struck an arc against the work piece, he was immediately electrified, dying at the hospital a few hours after the incident.

    Question(s) For Expert Witness

    • 1. Do you have extensive experience working as a welder with long wires in a similar situation as described in this case?
    • 2. Have you ever served as an expert on a similar case? If so, please explain.
    • 3. Have you ever lectured or written on this topic?

    Expert Witness Response E-036123

    I have more than 16 years of experience as a welding inspector and have rigged welding cable on numerous occasions. Maintenance of the machine and cables in use is primarily the responsibility of the construction firm.

    Contact this expert witness