Pulmonology Experts Discuss Effects of Toxic Mold on Building Occupants

toxic mold expert witnessThis case involves a middle school teacher in Mississippi who began experiencing serious respiratory symptoms after a major flood occurred. After the flood, which had engulfed the first floor of the elementary school where she taught, had subsided, the school lacked sufficient funds to undertake repairs. The building structure had become irreparably damaged, and had become infested with termites and other pests . Instead, they opted to close off the damaged first floor of the building and hold classes on the second floor while the school district purchased modular classrooms. While teaching in the school, the teacher was diagnosed with asthma and bronchitis. She was treated with moxifloxacin hydrochloride. After a few months, she collapsed while teaching and was rushed to the hospital. It was alleged that the flooded conditions on the school’s first floor had led to the growth of toxic black mold throughout the school building.

Question(s) For Expert Witness

  • 1. Do you have extensive experience treating patients who have who have suffered increased asthma and bronchitis due to poor air quality?

Expert Witness Response E-011958

I have substantial expertise in, and experience with, poor air quality related diseases – over 25 years worth. I was on an EPA panel that reviewed one of the largest cases of asbestos contamination in history. In addition, I am the editor of a major textbook on occupational medicine, and I have written multiple chapters and reviews on occupational lung diseases. I have served on multiple advisory committees, and am a frequent participant in advisory activities due to my expertise in occupational lung diseases, including asbestos and sick building cases. I have served for 2 years as Chair of Environmental and Public Health Assembly at the American Thoracic Society, as well as serving as a board member of the same. By leaving the lower level of this facility unrepaired, the school district placed the occupants at great risk of respiratory illness.

Contact this expert witness