This case involves a woman in South Carolina who suffered severe burns on her leg when an e-cigarette lithium battery exploded. The woman had recently purchased a new battery for her electronic cigarette, which was marketed and sold specifically as an approved replacement batter for her specific device. Nevertheless, shortly after the woman installed the battery in her device, she noticed that the unit became warm to the touch in her pocket. When the woman reached into her pocket to remove the device it suddenly exploded, causing severe burns to her hands and leg. The woman required multiple surgeries and skin grafts, and now suffers from permanent scarring.