This case involves an individual who was burned when the lithium-ion battery contained within his smartphone spontaneously exploded while the plaintiff was on a call. The phone had been purchased within a year of its initial release, and was representative of the defendant company’s latest model. At the time of the accident, the battery had recently been charged to full capacity using the charger that had originally been supplied with the phone by the manufacturer. It was alleged that the failure was caused by a critical failure in the battery’s design, which allowed the negative and positive electrodes to deform and come into contact within the battery pouch. As a result of the explosion, the plaintiff suffered severe and disfiguring burns to his face and right hand.