This expert received his bachelor's degree from Princeton, and received his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Texas at Austin. He is currently a Distinguished Professor in the Department of Psychology at a large university in Florida. His work is on the psychology, neurobiology, and treatment of suicidal behavior and related conditions. He has authored over 575 peer-reviewed publications, and was awarded the Guggenheim Fellowship and the Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Residency Fellowship. He received the Young Investigator Award from the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression, the Shakow Award for Early Career Achievement from the Division of Clinical Psychology of the American Psychological Association, the Shneidman Award for excellence in suicide research from the American Association of Suicidology, the Dublin Award for career achievement in suicide research, and the Award for Distinguished Scientific Early Career Contributions from the American Psychological Association, as well as research grants from the National Institute of Mental Health, Department of Defense (DoD), and various foundations.
He is a consultant to NASA's Human Research Program, and is the Director of the Department of Defense funded Military Suicide Research Consortium, a $30 million project. The effort was recently extended for a second five-year phase at a similar funding level.
Aditionally, he has authored or edited seventeen books. He has made numerous radio, print, and television appearances, including write-ups in The Wall Street Journal and The Times of London, a radio interview on NPR's Talk of the Nation, and two appearances on the Dr. Phil Show. He runs a part-time clinical and consulting practice specializing in suicidal behavior, including legal consultation on suits involving death by suicide.
- Location: FL
- BA, Psychology, Princeton University
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, University of Texas at Austin
- Licensed, Psychologist, Florida
- Former, Associate Professor and Director, Psychological Assessment Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas
- Former, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, Florida State University
- Former, Professor, Department of Psychology, Florida State University
- Former, Distinguished Research Professor & The Bright-Burton Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology, Florida State University
- Current, Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology, a large university in FL