Space Heater Sold by Large Retail Chain Catches Fire and Results in Death

Michael Talve, CEO

Written by
— Updated on September 29, 2017

This case involves a 24-year-old male who died in a fire caused by a space heater. The space heater was purchased at a large national retail chain. The victim’s family sued the manufacturer as they alleged that the space heater caused the fire. Additionally, they’ve named the retail store as a defendant, as they alleged that a more stringent buying process should have been in place to prevent a potentially unsafe product from appearing on the shelves of that retailer.

Question(s) For Expert Witness

  • 1. What are the buying practices pertaining to product safety and testing at large, national retail chains?
  • 2. Are there any safety precautions taken by large retailers to ensure that the products they inventory and sell are safe for consumers?

Expert Witness Response E-004863

Large retailers have formal buying processes that take into account safety and liability. The retail store has a safety department and when purchasing a product from a multinational corporation with a strong reputation, it is unreasonable to expect any additional safety or compliance testing to be offered by the retailer for the specific product. I am a retail expert with over twenty years in the field. I have occupied high-ranking administrative positions in Fortune 500 companies similar to the retail store named in the case, and have supervised retail budgets in excess of $1 billion.

Contact this expert witness

Find a Consumer Product Safety Expert Witness Near You

What State is your case in?

AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY