Infant Suffers Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In House Fire

    Carbon Monoxide ExpertThis case involves a multi-family house that caught fire due to an electrical shortage. The fire broke out at approximately midnight and the families were trapped inside the house for a significant period of time. A 4-month-old infant was trapped in the house at the time of the fire and the infant suffered severe carbon monoxide exposure. On EMS arrival, the infant received 100% oxygen and was taken to the hospital. In spite of immediate treatment, the infant remained with significant neurological delays that negatively impacted her development.

    Question(s) For Expert Witness

    • 1. Please describe your experience treating patients that have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Expert Witness Response E-001341

    I have treated children exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning as part of my clinical duties as a child neurologist. I am aware that patients with elevated carbon monoxide levels in their blood should have emergent transfer to a facility that has the capabilities to provide hyberbaric oxygen treatment. I am aware of the predilection of carbon monoxide poisoning to injure the metabolically active basal ganglia structures within the central nervous system, specifically the globus pallidus. I am also aware of the consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning to survivors, which includes severe generalized dystonia as well as significant cognitive dysfunction. I have also been involved with medical-legal cases concerning children who have suffered neurological injury for the past 7 years, serving as an expert witness for both defense and plaintiff cases. I am comfortable reviewing medical records, preparing reports, performing IMEs, as well as giving both deposition and courtroom testimony.

    Contact this expert witness