Expert Institute is an established, profitable, and growing tech-enabled professional services business. At our core, we match attorneys with the expertise they need to secure settlements and win litigation. We’ve been at it for more than a decade and call some of the nation’s most prominent law firms as clients. In partnership with our network of over 3 million subject-matter experts, we’ve had a hand in securing over $20 billion in recovered value while working across recent civil rights, big tech, pharma, and major league sports-related litigation.
As our business has grown, so too has our technical sophistication. To work efficiently as a high-touch professional service, we’ve invested heavily in custom tools and data infrastructures to arm our researchers with the insight they need to provide clear and differentiated value.
In 2019, we opened the doors to our client-facing software platform, Expert iQ. For both attorneys and experts, Expert iQ serves as a repository of past and active work with Expert Institute, allowing users to find information quickly and receive targeted notifications when actions are required. Expert iQ “1.0” helps our whole community work more efficiently to rapidly match expertise with case needs.
But we’re just getting started. We are growing our technology and product teams to make Expert iQ smarter, more data-rich, and more collaborative. Tl;dr: think of Expert iQ as the Airbnb or Upwork of legal expert witnessing.
We are looking for engineers interested in making a significant impact in an environment with lots of whitespace and limited shenanigans. Work alongside experienced technologists and product managers who have been around the block and think what we have going here is pretty exciting.
The Software Engineer reports to the Lead Architect and will work closely with all members of the technology team (CTO, VP of Product, Product Designers, and Salesforce leads) to advance Expert iQ - our recently launched client portal, which enables our legal clients to more efficiently interact with the Expert Institute research team as well as experts within our network.
This is a great opportunity to blend your creative and technical skills through a variety of interesting and forward-thinking projects. We have a growth-minded culture and a bias to action. Our teams work in an agile / kanban methodology that doesn't take itself too seriously but is continuously tweaked to deliver great results and enjoy work along the way.
You’re an experienced full-stack software engineer, interested in both backend development as well as the user-facing components of a software product.
You have a clear understanding of the role of data, analytics, metrics, and statistics in the building of a successful software product. You bring focus and curiosity to work and prefer to build interesting things.
You’re passionate about the quality and craftsmanship of the software you deliver, and are excited about exploring future system design and improving our architecture in a complex domain.
- A degree in Computer Science, and/or a demonstrable relevant experience
- 2+ years of relevant work experience as a software engineer
- Knowledge of and experience with agile software processes and modern development methodologies/best practices
- Ability to write clean, organized, and reusable code
- Proficiency with server-side languages and frameworks such as NodeJS/Express, Python/Django, Java
- Working knowledge of scripting languages, data-oriented/database languages (PostgreSQL, SQL), micro-services, web services, continuous integration tools, and version control systems (Git)
- Proficiency with a cloud platforms such as AWS or Google Cloud Platform, and related cloud products (Aurora RDS, Lambda, Message Queuing Service, Kafka)
- Familiarity and curiosity with DevOps
- Ability to design and develop automated testing strategies and build automated testing frameworks
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Good problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- High attention to detail
- You have a sense of humor and enjoy building a positive, supportive team culture
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This position is not available for remote work in New York.